other links: LandOps.org Home | Video | LandOps.com
Land Ops - The Off Road, Navigation and Amateur Radio Search Club
Saw this on a great website, WWW.50Campfires.Com which is a great resource about everything camping related. Here are the top 10 common mistakes when getting ready to go camping... http://50campfires.com/top-ten-camping-mistakes-will-ruin-weekend/ I think I have made a few of these over the years...haha...
Good info. Yes...I've done a few of these myself. Here's my take;
1. I usually test new gear at home if its electronic, but tents and other items usually get field tested (not always the best).
2. I'm not sure why this one is on their list especially at #2. I have found that it doesn't really matter if we roll in at night. I actually enjoy a cooler setup. Not really a mistake in my book.
3. Right on. Carry ponchos and waterproof boots as well as a hat. I carry a contractor grade raincoat in the jeep.
4. First aid kit is the first thing I stock and restock with fresh supplies and its my big orange Pelican box you see on my roof rack.
5. Leaving food out is simply a bad habit.
6. That's right. As much as possible though, we like to get out in the middle of nowhere and no reservations required. But when staying with the group at a campground, reserve your site early.
7. Amen to #7 and the most important piece of warm clothing I pack for both my wife and I is a very warm hat that covers the ears. Most of your body heat is lost through your head. I sometimes where it while sleeping too when its really cold.
8. I have to admit I've left fire starters and light fluids behind only to struggle, but overall we get this one right.
9. I use a Surefire Minimus and will someday graduate to the Maximus. I am just not very functional at night without a headlamp. be sure to turn them off when talking to people.
10. This would be a disaster for Land Ops events if we do not know enough about the terrain, road closures, gas stations, etc... This is probably number one on my list. Even when we do recon (scouting trips) we have a plan and have researched the area we are going.
Good list Jim, thanks for the posting