"Mysteries of Lucky Nugget"
A Story about the Old Woman Meteorite
The long awaited release of the Lucky Nugget documentary is here!
This story and filming was over a year in the making by the volunteers at Land Ops Adventure Radio Club.
What’s It about?
In 1976 two prospectors discovered a national treasure. It was the second largest meteorite to be found in the United States and they named it Lucky Nugget, but their claim and the name would not prevail. It was later officially named Old Woman Meteorite after the mountain range where it was discovered. The two prospectors who found it were searching for the lost arch gold mine. Their search yielded a much greater discovery and yet they received no reward or finders fee.
What’s so unusual about this discovery?
There are a handful of mysteries that surround this meteorite discovery which we bring to light in this short 30 minute documentary.
1. Why was there no reward issued?
2. What were the odds of this discovery?
3. How did something so large (6070 pounds) leave no impact crater?
4. How did it end up where it was found?
5. Why was the documentation so poorly recorded?
6. Why was extra fencing installed at the access road?
Land Ops, amateur radio in the rough!